The Annie E. Casey Foundation's 2019 national KIDS COUNT® Data Book came out this week, with Iowa placing third overall in child well-being. At first glance, our state's high ranking suggests most kids in Iowa are faring well — but a deeper dive into the issue clearly shows there remains much work before all kids and families are able to thrive.
Iowa KIDS COUNT director Mike Crawford says, "If you're looking at the state as a whole, Iowa does very well [in child well-being] — around 75 percent of kids don't have any major issues. But the remaining 25 percent do, and that's where our focus as child advocates comes in."
Join the Center's Anne Discher, Sheila Hansen and Mike Crawford as they unpack the report findings. And while you listen, you can explore this cool interactive version of the Data Book to see Iowa fares on individual indicators.
We can’t find much good news in the sudden departure of director Jerry Foxhoven from the Iowa Department of Human Services this week. But one thing is clear — meeting the needs of Iowa's children and their families must be top priority, even amidst DHS turmoil.
The Center’s policy director Sheila Hansen joined a panel discussion earlier this month at the 2019 Iowa State Advocacy Summit hosted by our friends at Save the Children Action Network. Panelists talked about the public and political perceptions of early childhood education and child care and the role advocacy plays in making gains for young children.
From left to right: Sheila Hansen; Brenda O’Halloran, Child Care Resource and Referral of Central Iowa; Dr. Constance Beecher, Iowa State University School of Education; and Lauren Linnenbrink, Iowa Association for the Education of Young Children.